Sunday, August 15, 2021

First Local Sector Solo : 12 August 2021

 

I did the first local solo outside of airport patterns on 12th August 2021.  This was my fifth solo till date - and it was probably the first time I was really comfortable - i.e. didn't lose any sleep the previous night. Having done a solo just the day before set me up well for the day.

I intended to do some touch and gos' before setting off for a local sortie over in general direction of the south. I pretty much know the locations and landmarks of all of New Castle County and really didn't think I would need any GPS or VOR assistance. If there was going to be a flight by VFR, this one is going to be it.

Right off the bat after take off, I was instructed to follow a Cessna that had taken off moments earlier in left pattern. Then on downwind heard about the local Pitts S-2 (N864) joining in the pattern. So it became a bit busy with radio traffic.  You can hear the Pitts being on my heels during the short final for my first touch and go.

I followed the first landing with a second left one, and then requested for a right pattern for the third one. This time I made sure I didn't make the mistake from my 3rd solo where I flew quite close to the runway and overshot base to final on the right pattern.  By this time I am able to make my headings and turns based on local landmarks. 

Out of the third touch and go, I requested ATC for VFR departure to the east and promptly headed west! - duh!.. flew over Bear, took a turn to south and went east of Summit Airport.  After crossing Middletown, turned east till I hit the Delaware River Bay. Most of the time the aircraft was trimmed at 2500 feet and about 90KTs and I didn't have to do much except for keeping a look out and figuring out the landmarks. As I said it was fairly easy.  On hitting the bay, turned North, requested for a full stop and was given the Left base to 27.  I did that pretty well though arrived over the waypoint (the water tower!) 200 feet high.. but was able to lose altitude and come home for a full stop. 

Had my share of learnings for the day,  including proper usage of checklists for all phases of flight.  Above is a 13 minute excerpt of the Sector Solo . 

1 comment:

ali said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.